Unless You Will Journal is a digital PDF publication for lovers of photography and visual arts. Conversations you haven’t read. Work that inspires. The glorious mess of creativity.
Support independent publishing! This journal is prepared with love by three creative freelancers who work with photography.
About Issue 31
- 168-page digital download (PDF)
- In-depth interviews with five photographers about their practice
- Alec Soth (United States) looks back on the journeys that resulted in LBM Dispatch, and considers the ethical problems that arise when photographers depend on travel to make work.
- Sophie Gabrielle (Australia) discusses how she’s processing our pandemic’s demonisation of intimacy through London’s Wellcome Collection archives.
- Kevin Osepa (Netherlands) reflects on how he plays with dualities in his visuals, addressing the cultural complexities of spirituality, sexuality, and colonialism.
- Dimitra Dede (Greece) takes us through her years-long photographic exorcism of psychosomatic reactions to grief, embodied through the destruction of her own negatives.
- Bharat Sikka (India) invites us to look at his work-in-progress about youth culture in India, explaining how it’s an extension of his past work on the solitude of masculinity.
The hierarchy we assign to titles in our community is strange. I love interviewing artists and writing about their work, but I don’t love the relationship that’s implied through that interaction. It’s uncomfortable to be approached as a gatekeeper, and I don’t want to feed into a dynamic that suggests artists are subservient to curators, editors, publishers, or any other specialist in our field. In the same way that artists search for catharsis through making their work, I search for that same release through interviewing and writing—we’re one and the same. What I’m saying is: I don’t have my shit together either, so let’s talk about that.
~ Cat Lachowskyj
We pay royalties
All five photographers interviewed and published in Issue 31 will be paid a percentage of our profits. The more copies we sell, the more we pay each featured artist. Here’s the split:
- 30% Featured Artists (6% each)
- 54% Core Team (18% each)
- 10% Future Fund
- 6% Cause
Royalties are paid quarterly for 12 months, then all profits go to Unless You Will Future Fund.
Our vision is to be an invigorating and positive force in our community beyond Issue 31. With some funding in the kitty, we will be able to publish more editions of Unless You Will Journal and progress a few other ideas we have percolating.
We will donate a percentage of our profits to Victorian Aboriginal Legal Aid and the Two-Spirited People of the First Nations to support the vital work both organisations are doing for Indigenous people in Australia and Canada.
One More Thing!
By buying Unless You Will ~ Issue 31 you are investing in the work of three creative freelancers and acknowledging the time and investment it takes to bring a quality independent publication from our desks to the people. You are also backing our mission to authentically support and champion artists beyond the promise of exposure, so kudos to you!